Aging Parents

Savings Plan for the Sandwich Generation

Support your children and parents, and plan for retirement too

One in seven middle-aged Americans is financially supporting both an aging parent and a child.1 If you’re part of this group, dubbed the Sandwich Generation, then you likely already know how challenging it is to save for retirement while supporting three generations.

For example, you might lose income due to time spent caring for parents or children. Or you might be tempted to cash out your retirement account to pay an elderly parent’s medical bills. The fact is, it’s hard to maintain your focus on a long-term savings plan like retirement when you’re faced with problems like these, says Wade Pfau, a professor of retirement income at the American College in Bryn Mawr, Pa. “People want to save for retirement adequately,” he says. “However, they have so many short-term expenses competing for a limited amount of income.”

Here’s a look at financial strategies for dealing with these sandwich generation challenges.

1. Prioritize your retirement savings.

Your children may get a scholarship or take out loans to pay for college, but no such assistance exists for retirement. Work with other family members to share the financial responsibility for elderly parents and ensure that helping a relative doesn’t jeopardize your own retirement needs. Encourage your parents to look into buying long-term care insurance, which could help defray some costs down the road. Also, to the extent that you can foresee expenses you’ll cover for your parents or child, include them in your budget. And consider helping your teenager find a part-time job to fund some of his or her own expenses. You can also use an online savings calculator to help see what you need to do to get to your savings goal.

2. Take advantage of tax breaks.

If you provide more than half of your child or elderly parent’s financial support for the year, you may be able to get a tax deduction by claiming them as your dependents. Children generally need to live with you to qualify as dependents (although there are some exceptions), while dependent relatives do not.2 You might also be able to deduct some caregiving or childcare costs. When possible, use a tax-advantaged account such as a 529 or 401(k) to save for college and retirement, as these accounts can help your savings grow more quickly. Consult your accountant or tax preparer to discuss ideas to maximize your tax savings.

3. Explore outside resources.

You don’t have to do it all yourself. Aging parents may have some of their medical needs covered by Medicare, so check for state-specific resources and other information. If your parents have a long-term care insurance policy and are unable to take care of the functions of daily life themselves, it may be time to file a claim for long-term care. The U.S. Administration on Aging operates an Eldercare Locator (, a searchable directory of providers. You can also find senior care or childcare providers in your area at

1 Pew Research Social Demographic Trends, January 2013


This content does not constitute legal, tax, accounting, financial or investment advice. You are encouraged to consult with competent legal, tax, accounting, financial or investment professionals based on your specific circumstances. We do not make any warranties as to accuracy or completeness of this information, do not endorse any third-party companies, products, or services described here, and take no liability for your use of this information.


Investment and Insurance Products:

Are Not FDIC or any other Government Agency Insured   Are Not Bank Guaranteed  May Lose Value 

© 2018 SunTrust Banks, Inc

equal housing logoSunTrust Bank is an Equal Housing Lender. Member FDIC

equal housing logoEqual Housing Lender. SunTrust Mortgage, Inc

SunTrust, SunTrust Mortgage, SunTrust PortfolioView, SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, SunTrust Premier Program, AMC Pinnacle, AMC Premier, Access 3, Signature Advantage Brokerage, Custom Choice Loan and SunTrust SummitView are federally registered service marks of SunTrust Banks, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Services provided by the following affiliates of SunTrust Banks, Inc.: Banking products and services are provided by SunTrust Bank, Member FDIC. Trust and investment management services are provided by SunTrust Bank, SunTrust Delaware Trust Company and SunTrust Banks Trust Company (Cayman) Limited. Securities, brokerage accounts and insurance (including annuities) are offered by SunTrust Investment Services, Inc., a SEC registered broker-dealer, member FINRA, SIPC, and a licensed insurance agency. Investment advisory services are offered by SunTrust Advisory Services, Inc., a SEC registered adviser. GFO Advisory Services, LLC is a SEC registered investment adviser that provides investment advisory services to a group of private investment funds and other non-investment advisory services to affiliates. Mortgage products and services are provided by SunTrust Mortgage, Inc.

SunTrust Mortgage, Inc. - NMLS #2915, 901 Semmes Avenue, Richmond, VA 23224, 1-800-634-7928. CA: licensed by the Department of Business Oversight under the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act, IL: Illinois Residential Mortgage Licensee #MB-989, Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, 100 W. Randolph, Suite 900, Chicago, IL 60601, 1-888-473-4858, MA: Mortgage Lender license #-ML-2915, NJ: Mortgage Banker License - New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance, NY: Licensed Mortgage Banker—NYS Department of Financial Services, and RI: Rhode Island Licensed Lender.

"SunTrust Advisors" may be officers and/or associated persons of the following affiliates of SunTrust Banks, Inc.: SunTrust Bank, our commercial bank, which provides banking, trust and asset management services; SunTrust Investment Services, Inc., a registered broker-dealer, which is a member of FINRA and SIPC, and a licensed insurance agency, and which provides securities, annuities and life insurance products; SunTrust Advisory Services, Inc., a SEC registered investment adviser which provides Investment Advisory services.

SunTrust Private Wealth Management, International Wealth Management, Business Owner Specialty Group, Sports and Entertainment Group, and Legal and Medical Specialty Groups and GenSpring are marketing names used by SunTrust Bank, SunTrust Banks Trust Company (Cayman) Limited, SunTrust Delaware Trust Company, SunTrust Investment Services, Inc., and SunTrust Advisory Services, Inc.

SunTrust Bank and its affiliates do not accept fiduciary responsibility for all banking and investment account types offered. Please consult with your SunTrust representative to determine whether SunTrust and its affiliates have agreed to accept fiduciary responsibility for your account(s) and if you have completed the documentation necessary to establish a fiduciary relationship with SunTrust Bank or an affiliate. Additional information regarding account types and important disclosures may be found at

SunTrust Robinson Humphrey is the trade name for the corporate and investment banking services of SunTrust Banks, Inc. and its subsidiaries, including SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, Inc., member FINRA and SIPC.