Find out what you can do to help protect your information.
The Internet has made it easier than ever to bank, shop, communicate and gather information. Unfortunately, it has also made it easier for criminals to gain access to your personal and financial information.
We’re doing everything that we can to make sure your information doesn’t fall into the wrong hands, but there are also some simple things you can do to help.
- Protect your computer with anti-virus software and update it regularly
- Never share your passwords or PINs with anyone, and never write them down
- Avoid obvious passwords or PINs, such as zip code or year of birth, and never use personal information like your Social Security number
- Change your password regularly
Here are some other things you can do:
Use a UPIC
Safeguard your company’s sensitive account information by using a dummy account number known as a universal payment identification code (UPIC) to receive ACH payments.
Increase Your Online Banking Security Measures
While SunTrust uses security technologies to keep your information safe, there are things you can do to help.
- Sign off when your transactions are complete
- Don’t leave your computer unattended
- Avoid using public computers for banking activities
- Beware of suspicious or unfamiliar websites
When you shop online, remember these tips to help protect yourself from fraud.
- Limit your online shopping to retailers and services you trust
- Make sure all websites you plug any sensitive information into has the secure website icon and “https” in the URL
- Register for SecuredCode™ by MasterCard®, a free service that protects your SunTrust personal or business MasterCard check card from unauthorized use when you shop online
Browse the Internet with Care
You can surf the web confidently when you keep these tips in mind.
- Review websites’ security and privacy policies before entering personal data
- Make sure your web browser and anti-virus software are up to date
- Don’t download anything from unfamiliar sites
- If you enter any personal information on a public computer, always clear its cache memory
- Take steps to avoid downloading spyware or invasive software
Be Smart About Email Communications
Familiarize yourself with these tips when sending or receiving emails.
- Be wary of unsolicited emails; they may contain viruses
- Use secure messaging to ensure personal information is transmitted safely
- Never respond to unsolicited emails asking for personal information
- Remember that SunTrust will never send you unsolicited emails asking you to verify or provide personal and bank information
Help protect your personal and financial information further by downloading our checklists. Print them off and give them to your employees and family members to help them stay safe. Or keep them near your computers at home and at the office as a convenient reminder.