SunTrust has developed a number of online and offline security measures to help protect you and your identity. In addition to using advanced security technologies, such as encryption, firewalls and virus protection, we employ teams of security experts focused solely on fraud protection and identity theft prevention.
You also play a critical role in keeping your personal and account information safe. Here are some simple but important fraud and identity theft prevention tips:
- Don’t ignore address change notifications. If you receive a notice and you didn’t change your address, call SunTrust immediately. This may be an attempt to take over your account and divert statements or other account material.
- Notify SunTrust if you do not receive a statement or bill on time to make sure the address has not been changed or your bill has not been stolen from the mail.
- Go paperless—online statements cannot be stolen out of your mailbox or lost in the mail. Additionally, SunTrust offers 18 months of statements online.
- Keep your address and telephone number current with SunTrust and other creditors, even if you don’t have a balance. This makes it easier for us to reach you quickly if there is an unauthorized attempt to obtain credit in your name.
- Accept and return calls from SunTrust as soon as possible regarding questions about a recent loan application, card transaction or a check you wrote. This will help us establish whether the transaction is legitimate.
- Don’t ignore collection calls for debts you don’t owe. If you don’t have a loan with a creditor, an identity thief may have used your name and personal information.
Read more about SunTrust protection
The Internet has made everyday transactions more convenient, but it’s also created opportunities for online fraud. This section provides valuable information regarding online banking, shopping online, Internet browsing and e-mail.
Card and ATM Security
Credit and debit card theft is a common form of fraud. This section explains SunTrust's protection measures regarding credit cards and ATMs.
How We Protect You
SunTrust employs advanced security measures to protect you from fraud and identity theft. Read more about how we safeguard your personal and financial information.